Monday, December 22, 2008

Delhi, Day 1 of the trip

I had the best plane food I’ve ever had on the way over here – if you are flying to India take Jet Airways, it’s the best. I had a REAL wine glass, and a REAL napkin, the dinner was veggie, and there was really good Raita, Curry, and Chapatti, it was AMAZING. It goes up there with the other two awesome meals I’ve had on planes, one of which was in first class, and one when I was 9, so it’s a lofty category.

Arrived in Incredible India with Steffen and Liz waiting for me at the airport, and we got a little cab car to our hotel.

I thought Asia was hectic, but it is NOTHING compared to India. While in Asia there are usually only motorcycles, cars, buses, etc in the road, in India there are all of the above as wells as all manner of livestock, monkeys, people and of course cows running back and forth in fast moving traffic.
People on a political march walking down the middle of the road

On the way to the hotel we passed a truck which had ‘Anytime is egg time’ written as the slogan, which is a great slogan, because it is true, anytime really IS egg time. After checking in I received my Xmas present, which was a blow-up sumo wrestler suit; we are going to all wear them when Rahul picks us up in the airport in Bangalore.


Funny anecdote: They tried to find batteries for them so that they could pick me up in the suits as well, but met with blank stares after asking for batteries, later Steffen started pronouncing batteries with an Indian accent and then suddenly everyone knew what he was talking about.

SO far my absolute favorite thing about India are the amount of vegetarian restaurants. I’ve always been so envious of people who can just go into a restaurant where the menu isn’t in English and just point - now I can do that!!! We ordered four dishes at random and then potato Nan. I have never had such good food in my life. Each dish was incredible and we just stuck them in the middle and then all shared. I got Aloo Gobi, which is potato and cauliflower curry, and the other dishes we got were mutter masala, mutter something else, and then Dahl something because there was one lentil dish. We were the only foreigners in the restaurant, and everyone stared at us with great curiosity. Funny thing is that people think I’m Hindi. The waiter at the restaurant asked me if I was and the next day our tuk tuk driver went off in a random stream of Hindi at me; I think I must be dark enough that I could almost pass.

Delicious meal the first night; we had four curries and three orders of naan and the bill was 150 rupees: 3 dollars US. It was the best food I have ever had

Happy food consumers

No comments: