Sunday, April 5, 2009

Cebu - Jeepney's, Honduraw, butterfly knives and PUMP

Cebu is the place that I spent the longest in for the whole time I traveled, so I think it merits a post about why its cool, why I left, etc. 

Just to play some word association, Cebu:

-Hot /Humid
-Jeepnys
-Tanduay / Being really drunk
-Jullianas / PUMP
-Manok
-Brown Cup breakfast
-Ferrys
-Nurses
-Pancit
-Reggae

Cebu was really good and really bad all at the same time,  Fun, but horribly humid; Chaotic, but also pretty dirty.  On the whole I liked it, but mostly because of the people I met there.  Had I met a different group of people I would have probably just passed through and not given it a second thought.    I think I was lucky that I found it good and don't think other people would find it as amazing as I did. 

Cebu to me is streets jammed with jeepneys carrying loads of nursing students into the city under a smokey haze from the numerous manok stands, fumes from the jeepneys and debris from the factories. 

Its meeting friends at Brown cup for the 2 dollar coffee, pancake, bacon, and egg breakfast at 11 pm to start the night off before going to Jullianas and then finishing off the night dancing on the bar at PUMP. 

Its trying every method possible to keep the ants, mosquitos and cockroaches at least confined to the floor so they don't crawl over you at night, and falling asleep listening to the sometimes horrible and sometimes melodious sounds from the karaoke machine down below that is constantly in demand, from 9 am till midnight. 

Its being offered the customary beer glass everywhere you go, by old men, young kids, etc sometimes even in the morning. 

Its spending the whole day in Ayala doing absolutely nothing since its just TOO hot to be outside and nothing else has air conditioning. 

I eventually left because I needed a break from the heat, was sick of eating pancit for every meal and kinda just wanted to go somewhere else, I have the curse of not being able to keep my feet planted in one spot for more than two months apparently. 

Cebu sunset taken from the boat back from Bohol

Cebu 'culture' park
I think this is supposed to be Lapu Lapu, the leader who 'killed' Magellan.   A lot of people think he was killed by his crew

Beach near cebu

My neighborhood Manok stand

Nurses on the way home from school

Fort San Pedro, the first fort in the Philippines


The main church in Cebu, which is very famous in the philippines because it has never burned down unlike every other church there it seemed. 

No comments: