Sunday, November 1, 2009

Helsinki.. the land of blonds and coffee

    Helsinki, Finland


If you read the last few posts, I feel that I should clarify that I am not in europe, but I realized that I have a decent quantity of information from quite a few different places in the area and would like to share everything I've got, in the hope that through my suggestions maybe I can improve someone's trip.  

Moving on.


Finland is known for its.....COFFEE!!  They drink more cups per day per capita than we do in Seattle! (and also more than anywhere else in the world).   They are also known for the Moomintroll books, which I loved when I was a kid.   From Abby and my short weekend visit I came away with a few conclusions: Everyone in Finland is blond, everyone is part of a couple, and everyone drinks coffee and looks happy all the time (this isn't to say they are, but they looked it).  Below is a picture of a coffeehouse in downtown helsinki, most are very beautiful and have outdoor areas.  




Below are some pictures from the park along the harbor, a very tranquil place to spend you afternoon walking and sipping coffee.






Church thats the centerpiece of town



You can take ferries out to an old fortress in the mouth of the harbor, Abby and I did this and though it was a great way to get out and see something other than the city for the day.

No comments: