Monday, November 2, 2009

Oslo and Bergen

We didn't spend much time out and about in Oslo and Bergen due to our lack of funds but below are some pictures and a few of the things we did which we thought were fun/worth it.

Oslo:

  • Everything is EXPENSIVE.  We ended up becoming best friends with 7-11, which actually had pretty good food, not just the shitty sandwiches you can get elsewhere, the ones in Norge actually have many different options of hot food.  Doing that, a container of pasta is only 7 dollars instead of 20.  I would also stick to supermarkets, deli's and eat tons for lunch, when you can usually get lunch specials at restaurants. 
  • The sculpture park is amazing, I can't remember what part of town it was but as long as it is not pouring or snowing its probably worth a visit. 
  • Walking down by the harbor to look at all the fish boats etc is also entertaining, we went down there one night.
  • There's really good shopping on the walking streets (I think there are two or three?), and contrary to what you would expect from the price of food in restaurants its actually not prohibitively pricey. 

Below are a picture of the Palace? at the end of a main street, and of a park near the palace


Bergen


We took the train from Oslo to Bergen, (I think about 8 hours but I can't precisely remember) and it goes through some really beautiful scenery, especially if there is snow on the ground!  We went in late October, which I'm not too sure about because it was a bit cold, but I'm sure there were less tourists then and I bet you can get better deals if you actually plan things out a bit.



Bergen is a very cute old fishing town on the west coast (I guess there isn't another coast..oops), that is the "gateway to the fiords".  Unfortunately Jess and I never got to make use of this gateway since we didn't wake up early enough and were too cheap to pay for the cruise, one of the main reasons why I must go back at some point in my life.    Below is the most typical touristy picture of Bergen.

                               
Another attraction is to go walking in the hills above the town, which you can take a cable car to.  You get a good photo opportunity, and also there are some really pretty walk/hikes you can do.  Jess and I didn't see another person the whole time we were walking around up there; I think most people just ride the cable car up, take a few pictures and then turn around and ride it back down.  Below is a picture of one of the lakes and the view of Bergen.



Sidenote: When we were in Bergen I saw these rain boots that I LOVED. They were solid colors with white laces all the way up, and they came in pretty much any color you could possibly imagine.  Three years later, I am kicking myself that I did not buy a pair especially since I live in Seattle.   If anyone knows where I can get them, please, please, tell me, I will love you forever and then my feet will be warm and dry this winter.

No comments: