Thursday, September 11, 2008

And so it goes..

Very boring week here, just working and sleeping. Up until yesterday I hadn't been paid yet over here (since pay comes every month), so I have been exceedingly broke and unable to do anything. Luckily I finally got paid and was able to pay adam back all the money I owed him, which was an epic sum. I also can't go anywhere on the subway because I have managed to lose my subway card (second time), but I can still ride the bus because they are always so crowded that no one notices if I don't beep in. If I get caught i'm sure the penalty is forced "re-education through labor" for the rest of my life, probably not the best gamble for the 2 kuai savings on bus fare.

I'm also slowly starving from lack of food since I am too lazy to go to the grocery store. I have now run out of every possible food source and for the past two days I have been living on eggs, which I can buy downstairs, and Tahini. Tomorrow I am going to force myself to do an entire day of cooking and shopping so I don't get scurvy from not eating enough green things.

This week is the mid-autumn festival (Moon Festival) and so everyone is giving moon cakes, the traditional present. These are little round cakes with some sort of paste inside, usually red bean paste or lotus root paste. One of my favorite books as a kid was about the moon festival, so I'm pretty psyched (the real reason might be that we have no work on monday!). I was planning on going to the beach or Shanghai since we have a three day, but I learned ten minutes after dropping my passport off at the Vietnam Embassy that you can't travel anywhere in China without your passport, and mine will be out of commission for the week. I would LOOOVEEE to get out of the city and breath clean air for a few days but I guess I'm stuck staying here instead; I think i'm going to become an artiste over the weekend. I drove by an art gallery yesterday that said: "Invisible Art Installation: You Come in and See Nothing" I don't know if it was just a bad translation or some new modern art ploy.

Anyway, thats about it - still going to the Qingdao Beer festival next weekend, although unfortunately emma dropped out and now its only jeff and I, which is going to be awkward because of previous bad decisions, hopefully it will still be fun, i'm excited to see the ocean and drink beer, I don't think anything could ruin that.

Ciao

No comments: