Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Gossip Girl is Back!!

The best show on the planet is back and now I can download it because the chinese government has decided itunes is no longer subversive!!!! I'm trying to get Adam and Shobhit to watch it with me, but they are resisting my amazingly well crafted arguments. Shobhit says he will only watch it if the narrator, Kristen Bell, becomes a cast member that he can actually see, instead of just listening to her voice. I also just learned from his google search that she became a veggie at 11, how admirable of her.

The first episode was decent, the usual: adultery, sex, expensive clothes, and of course, Chuck Bass. I'm looking forward to episode 2 which I am currently downloading. It says it is going to take 4 more hours.... hopefully I will not be so excited that I stay up until it is done..... but that may happen, and I feel like being tired from watching gossip girl is an even worse excuse than being tired from being out too late drinking.

Now after disclosing that I watch one of the most worthless and indulgent shows on the planed I feel the need to immediate counteract this with a pretentious literary discussion.

List of the "Best Books in the World" ( *for my sister)

Cannery Row - Steinbeck
On the Road - Karouac
Endurance - Lansing
1984 - Orwell
Collected Short Stories of Pushkin - Pushkin
Freakenomics - Levit
War & Peace - Tolstoy
Madame Bovary - Flaubert
THe Count of Monte Cristo - Dumas
and of course... Head First Java

*I compiled a list of books for my sister to read since she and I have different taste and both want to branch out. I'll post her list below mine since I have the utmost confidence in her taste in books as she is a librarian and likes to read. I left some of my favorite books off of this since she had already read them, but to supplement the list, the "Best Books in the World" also include: Hamlet, The Drifters, The Far Pavilions, Anna K, Brothers K, and Animal Farm.

My sister's List (that you should also read:


1. Animal Dreams - Barbara Kingsolver
2. The House of the Spirits - Isabel Allende
3. Obasan - Joy Kogawa
4. Savage Inequalities - Jonathan Kozol
5. Desert Solitaire - Edward Abbey
6. The Edge of the Sea - Rachel Carson
7. Prisoners Without Trial - Roger Daniels
8. Wild Swans - Jung Chang (ok, this should wait till you're somewhere where it's not banned)
9. People's History of the United States - Howard Zinn
10. In the Time of the Butterflies - Julia Alvarez

1 comment:

Madeline said...

head first java? really?
i've read cannery row and 1984...maybe i'll start with some of the russian ones.