Sunday, February 15, 2009

I'm a Cebuano!!

I got an apt in Cebu for 50 dollars a month!! I actually had been planning on leaving the next day to go to Siargao, but then I got drunk and woke up with a room rented for the next month... no joke, all Matet and Jurry's fault, they convinced me it was a good idea. My liver cancer will also be their fault. My room is pretty basic, just one room with an attached bathroom, and a bed so small that I have to be careful not to roll in any direction orI'll fall off, so I guess I won't be bringing anyone home, but that's ok, and now I'll spend so much less in the next month that I would if I were traveling around, and the best part = it was 50 dollars.

Ive made friends with everyone in the reggae crowd here, and we've been going to a lot of concerts and just generally being really chill cause thats what gangstas do, and its cool cause all of them have got dreds so I don't feel so odd man out. There is some amazing music going on here, I'll try and upload some videos to my facebook if I don't go crazy first because of the excruciatingly long load time. Its really cool cause the concerts are basicaly just big jam sessions - all the reggae crowd shows up and then after the band who was supposed to play finishes their set there is just a massive freestyle jam session.

So my friends here so far are:

Matet & Jurry - the first couple I met here, who helped me get my apt. Matet is gorgeous and has dreds that go all they way down to her butt. She works as a call center person right now bc she ran away from home at 16 because her parents wanted her to go into nursing and she didn't want to. Jurry is a really good artist who does badass henna tattos and plays in a reggae band here that is really good.

GK - Guy who has lived all over it sounds like; he just came back to the philippines from living in hawaii for a few years, which after hearing his stories I want to do. He has a radio show here, which I should listen to sometime, and goes to all of the concerts and generaly just knows everyone and is also a sick DJ.

Budoy - The guy with the badass motorcycle that is made all out of recycled things, for example the seat is an old tire. He was on big brother and the only reason he was voted off was becasue people wanted to see his dreds, but he wouldn't take off his head wrap, which he never does and is about twice the size of his head. Hanging out with him is funny bc everyone is always yelling his name and wanting autographs and shit. He's a sweeeeeet Dubstep / reggae DJ and makes his own visaya music on the side, I need to buy some of the CDs. Ive gotten to ride on his motorcycle 3 times now! wooooo, and it is the most fun EVER in the world.

No comments: