Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Malapascua - Why the hell did lonely planet rate this place so high?

Basically, Malapascua is not that cool, maybe if you are an ichthyologist it would be sweet, but I don't really care about fish or coral, sooo pretty boring, just lots of fat which Russians on the beach. It also rained the entire time so that may have skewed my impression to the unfavorable. The thing that bothered me the most though was not the fat people obscuring my view of the ocean, but the complete lack of interaction between resort/tourists and the locals. It was like there were two different worlds on the island. I really hate tourists who come and ignore everything but the beach, so that was they type here, and I don't like them. The beaches were very pretty though, but there are pretty beaches everywhere, so I'd like some atmosphere with my beaches please. Thank you.



I on the other hand, got invited to a birthday party, which was the one good thing about Malapascua... cause I had tonss of fun. There were kids running around underfoot everywhere, the tanduay/sprite shotglass was constantly on the move, Lechon Manok on the fire etc. They even fired up the generator so that we could play music. It was really cool, a big family affair, and I was treated as a member of the family. Once it was announced that dinner was served there was a mad rush for the table, and within literally 45 seconds, I kid you not, there was not a scrap of food on the serving plates. Everyone ate just as fast, they were done before I had even started, and I eat fast usually. After dinner we picked up the pace on the Tanduay glass, which had never ceased to be in motion even during dinner, and watched all the kids dance around, the music was obviously a special occasion treat for them. I tried to upload a video of the kids dancing bc they were REALLY good, but it took too long so I got impatient.


Waiting for the Manok to be done.. meanwhile getting bacoi kaho-ed...I'm sure that's not how you spell it.
This kid had a sweet shirt. The back said: "What? You want try?"

Uness, the really cute daughter of the birthday boy

More cute kids...

I think we're getting a bit Tanduay-ed at this point


This is what happens when you let 6 street kids into your room to play with your guitar, cell phone, ipod and camera......Mostly when I got the camera back there were 500 new pictures on it that all seemed to be very similar and blurry.




Watching the greatest movie ever, Hitman, on the ipod. Don't think it was age appropriate really.

No comments: