Saturday, August 30, 2008

I Need to Cut Back my Redbull Consumption

Entries in my phone from last night: Gillian Singapore, Tall Girl, and Matt-oz. 

I apparently met a lot of people last night, all of whom I don't totally remember.  Its a good thing I know myself well enough to know that descriptive names are a completely necessity for me to remember who anyone was the next day. 

Non-china related comment: go watch transporter 2 because apart from being a wonderful piece of cinematography, it has one of the best characters ever created:  Really awesome girl that kind of looks like an attractive alien that just walks around in lingerie and shoots people.  She is awesome... I'm kinda obsessed.   I kind of want to be her.   

Anyway, back to my real life:

Last night I met up with Alicia, the chinese girl that came to Suzie Wong's last week, and her friend, who is studying to be a doctor in Beijing.  We went to a really good chinese place and had really delicious fried eggplant and this drink that was kind of like sangria but had coconut milk instead of wine.  It had lots of the dragon fruit in it, which is the one that is kind of white and opaque with the black seeds.   

At the end of the meal I cast a glance at the dish of boiled baby cabbage I had been scarfing to see something small and black squirming to the surface in a desperate attempt to get out of the boiling water.   I didn't say anything because I didn't want to cause a scene, and we were finished eating anyway... so instead I just tried to concentrate on the conversation while keeping one eye on the mini-centipede-larvae thing that was valiantly struggling to keep above the water.   On the bright side, at least it was still in the dish, not in my stomach, although then maybe I would have gotten some protein since larvae are very high in protein -- Adam told me this yesterday.   Bottom line is: I really don't have good luck with food, the first night I was in japan I turned the tofu in my udon over to reveal a very large cockroach. 

After the dinner we walked around HouHai to a part I had not been to before, which was much quieter and less neon.  There were tons of little boats puttering around on the lake and Alicia said that you can  have dinner on them.  I am definitely going to do that if I ever have need for a romantic occasion, since I go on so many romantic occasions (sarcasm).  Really though, I need to start acting like an adult and assimilating into the dates/flowers/etc world or else I'm going to end up old and alone.  Maybe I'll take my parents there or something instead.  

I went to Gongti afterwards and met up with Emma and her friends, stayed there for a while then went to another bar that was having 80s night, which was awesome.  I rode on the back of Emma's bike there and I think we nearly died quite a few times, but we were both too full of redbull and vodka to care.   I feel like biking under the influence maybe should be deterred a little bit more.   Everyone left at 3, but I was just hitting my stride so I decided to stay completely alone (sounded like a great idea at the time) and make friends, which I did, with a bunch of brits, and went to white rabbit with them till really far to late at night.  I'm thinking of allotting myself a limit of redbulls per night, this staying out till 5 is getting out of control.  I was actually really disappointed in white rabbit, there weren't that many ppl there and the music wasn't that great, but I think it might have just been too late in the night for me to be a good critic anymore.  

Upon arriving home I decided that just drinking water and going to bed was insufficient, and instead I thawed some of the gnocchi I made last week and whipped up a pesto cream sauce from scratch, then proceeded to lick the sauce pot afterwards, because to my drunk self it was absolutely delicious.  It really probably was't that great seeing as my culinary skills were no doubt impaired... but it tasted pretty damn good at the time  -- kind of  like the time Arun and I made tempura at five in the morning and created "the best dipping sauce in the world!!" from Sriracha and Soy Sauce, only to discover later while sober that it really wasn't all that great. 

Anyway, that is the reason why I am not out drinking. Instead I am getting my life together.. especially since I spent 300 kuai last night which is waaaay over my limit.  

hopefully you are doing something more interesting than me, but if you are reading this it means you are at a computer, which means you are at home, which means you are a loser. get out. 

Night.

No comments: