Friday, August 22, 2008

Suzie Wongs


Day ?

8:30 PM
I am currently: cooking pasta, cleaning my room, answering work emails and drinking a beer, all in preparation to go out in 30 minutes.    I also just downed a prescription strength Ibuprofine with that beer since I'm out of milk, again, thank you teebs..this stuff is awesome, I need to find some over here.  I always thought it was the 11th commandment not to drink and take painkillers at the same time, but I was told by my family that this is a fallicy.   The conversation happened when we were at the ocean and I was ridiculously sick (having just gotten back from partying by brains out in europe for two weeks) and was on antibiotics. It went like this:

Mom:   have a beer, they are really good, they are local and organic
Me:   I can't I'm on Antibiotics
Mom / rest of extended family:   So?
Me:   you can't drink on antibiotics or painkillers
Mom:   really? I always do
Uncle Doug:   I mean, you need something to take the pill with...

Love my family

Anyway, today I had my first experience with chinese medicine.  I lost my Campho-Phenique, which i'm sure you can only buy in the US, so I went on a mission to find more.  I knew no one would speak english, so I painstakingly researched the active ingredients: Camphor and Phenol, and then translated them into chinese via google translator.  Armed with this piece of paper I went to the pharmacy.  I was right, no one spoke english, but the doctor took one look at me and then at the paper and said: bu hao (not good).  All of my effort was in vain since apparently US medicine is not very well respected.  Instead he gave me weird little tablet things to put in my mouth and vitamin C.   Hopefully it works since I'm running out of teebs's painkillers. 

Another fun fact of the day: For the olympic sport of taekwondo their helmets say, in huge letters on the top, WTF.  thought it was funny. 

Morning after

Wearing it yet again.. i'll just give a one paragraph summary since the night lasted for about 9 hours.  We had three bottles at our table, 2 of vodka and one of 151, .... for 10 people.  One of the guys has to wear my extra pair of sparkly flats because he came in sandals and they wouldn't let him in without shoes.   Then, when we all went to go dance, I got pulled into another table because an aussie women on it thought I was a good dancer (and she asked me if I was brazilian! I was ecstatically happy).   This table was: bank managers and athletes. It was awesome. So then I proceeded to drink my way through their really expensive champaign as well.  I woke up this morning with five business cards that all say either senior partner or manager, and tons of pictures of middle aged chinese and Australian men along with a bunch of african athletes.   The athletes that I talked to were really cool, a guy from Nairobi who I think won silver, and a woman from Ivory Coast who I cant remember her event.   All in all it was an awesome night, I didn't get home till 6.   AND I returned home with ALL of my belongings, that is epic. 

Now I am going to Rickshaw to watch Argentina beat the crap out of Nigeria in football, have some brunch and a few beers to tame my hangover. peace bitches. 


No comments: