Monday, August 25, 2008

Impromptu trip to the Great Wall at 5 AM




The title pretty much sums up my weekend.  After friday night I did not think the weekend could possibly get anymore crazy, but nooo, I was mistaken.  The events that I am about to relate are the kind of antics that you would expect Jess Perri to be involved in. 

But first, so that I can keep up my: reporting-on-the-cultural-side of-china bargain, A little about what I did during the day:  Went to the Temple of Heaven, one of the three most famous sights in Beijing which was built t0 be perfectly semetrical down to the placement of the plants in the huge garden surrounding it.  I actually found the garden to be far cooler than the temple itself because it was packed with people singing, playing ma jong, twirling long ribbons and dancing with fans.    The highlight was when a tall gangly british guy decided to try his hand at ribbon twirling and ended up so completely tangled in the ribbon that he fell over.  He then decided that his talents were better suited for the fan dance and drew a large crowd again with his antics there.  The old ladies loved it, (although I couldn't tell if they were laughing at him or with him), and he seemed to be enjoying his first foray into the world of dance as well.  It was a little like seeing a really spindly, tall stork surrounded my tiny birds trying to imitate them but failing miserably. 

Now on to the night:  
 
8:00 PM: 
Leave the apt, reassure john that I will under no circumstances be coming back after midnight. 

8:10 PM:  
Turn down two offers to go to clubs since I definitely will not be staying out past midnight.


8:30 Pm: 
Get to Nanlouguxiang, discover that one of the girls there is Becca's roommate and two of the others I met a few weekends ago - small world.  Start playing a drinking game involving animal movements; beginning of the downward spiral

10:00 PM: 
Wipe out while trying to get a cab, reassure all present that I am in no way drunk.  Go to Rickshaw.  Play pool, drink copious amounts of redbull vodka. 

12:00 AM:
Head to Kokomo, still slightly lucid at this point.  Over the next four hours: get in a fight with an aussie, talk about dostoyevsky for an hour, talk to the same dutch guys from Club Bud with whom I seriously discussed Hans Brinker last week, speak in spanish for one hour, salsa dance, and probably much more, we shall never know.

5:00 Am:
Meet a kid living in Singapore named Matt who is leaving for the great wall in 30 minutes, decide that it would be a great idea to get absolutely no sleep and go immediately hike for 11k on the great wall, wearing flats, a miniskirt and a nice top. 

5:30 AM: 
Have a rare burst of clarity and think better of the clothing situation and change into a T-shirt and head over to Matt's hostel to catch the bus.  My excitement about climbing the great wall is interrupted by a guy yelling CMC very loudly.  Turn around to see a blond guy wearing nothing but black silk boxers standing in an alleyway holding a jump rope (completely hammered as well).  Side note: has anyone even seen / let alone owned a jump rope in the last 15 years?   Turns out naked-silk-boxers-while-jump-roping-kid went to CMC.  After a lengthy introduction during which he told me four times to say hi to Christian Wolfgruber for him he demanded a CMC picture and then ran off back down his alley, disappearing from whence he come. 

6:00 AM - 6:00 PM : 
HIKED THE GREAT WALL!!!!

In retrospect, this was probably one of my greatest drunk adventures ever considering others have ended up:  accompanying jess to the emergency room , and lighting a senior's couch on fire (by mistake).   

I sobered up by the time we arrived and the wall was extremely amazing.   I was expecting it to be much more touristy because of pictures I have seen, but we were really the only group walking it.  At one point I went ahead of our group and couldn't see or hear another person for miles.  That was truly amazing because the area is so remote and expansive, and the wall becomes exponentially cooler if it is devoid of other human presence.   

The walk was long and hard, but we all made it, although today I can barely walk.   After we got back I went out to watch the closing ceremonies with some girls I met the night before: Emma and Alessandra, then I met up with Matt again and grabbed some drinks in NanLouGuXiang and HouHai with him.   All in all it was an eventful 24 hours. 

Tonight I am taking it easy and going to watch Pulp Fiction at Lush with Veronica and maybe have a beer or two if my liver hasn't completely pulled a coup' d etat by then. 

Later Skater

No comments: