Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Madness Hamsters are gnawing my brain

Ouch

I am at work.  Hungover, maybe possibly still drunk.    I just slept for an hour here though, so I'm feeling better than I did on the cab ride in.   Sleeping is one very culturally interesting thing about the chinese workplace.   It is completely permissible to take naps at any point in the work day; In fact, most people bring a pillow to work. I kid you not. After lunch most of the office is asleep and snoring for a good 30 minutes, although in their case it stems from hard work, not too many shooters with crazy aussies. 

Last night was great in a random sort of way.  Went to dinner with three other guys from Pomona, then went to Nashville near Solana Plaza and listened to a really good chinese guy sing Simon & Garfunkel songs while we played spades -- Jeff and I won of course.  I also had an amazing drink called a Gin Fizz, sort of like a fizzy gin creamsicle. Next time I will inquire as too the ingredients. 

Onward into the night, we went to shooters in SanLiTun, which I need to remember since all shots and beers are 10 kuai. (thats about 1.30 US).  Danced with the guys for a while which made me remember that american guys really can't dance.  Then I ran into the flamboyant spanish guy that I salsad with on saturday night, named Ernesto, which is awesome cause now I have his number!  Made friends with three aussies, got Kebab, went home at like 2 to wake up at 7.  No wonder I am struggling.   

Since I'm trying to build an empire of friends I decided I would not turn down any invitation to go out / hang out, no matter how hungover I am or how early I have to get up.  So I am having a greeeeat time, but my sanity and liver are suffering.   Luckily for me, a retarded child could do my job so a hangover doesn't stop me from being excellent!   Emma texted me last night saying she wanted to go out tonight, so I am going to try and drink as much water as humanly possible and sleep for another hour at work to prepare. 

Luckily my workload is really light right now because we just did  a demo to the client and they loved it... so unlike Adam, who has a miserably horrible client... I can just keep working on my project in peace, which only occupies about three hours a day. 

I havent talked at all about prices so here is run down on what stuff costs in china: 
7 Kuai = 1 US $
Large beer from a convenience store: 3 Kuai
Dish at a semi-nice restaurant: 18 Kuai
Rice: 2 Kuai
20 min cab ride: 20 Kuai
Full american breakfast at Rickshaw: 45 Kuai
Batteries: 16 Kuai
Beet at a bar: 10-20 Kuai
Drink at bar: 10-40 Kuai


No comments: